Saturday, February 11, 2017

Another Million Dollar Idea

I keep having million dollar ideas. I can't tell you about most of them, because they are so brilliant you will go make them happen before I can. (Slight exaggeration, maybe). But I have one million dollar idea that I want to share because then maybe someone will make it happen before I can.

If you are like me, you might feel called to do something more, something bigger. But you don't know how to get started. Some people skip that step entirely and go about doing something great because it didn't occur to them that they needed permission, or instruction, or approval, or funding. Like the incredible kids making water purifiers from cast-off trash.

If you are like me, you may have spent years of your life trying to make a difference, trying to lift up people who need lifting, giving time and money to good causes. But you feel called to do more. Not in a punitive, your-effort-is-never-enough way, but in a way that makes your heart beat faster just thinking about it.

Are you waiting for my million dollar idea? Well, if you are a tech innovator, the mistakes I make in describing this may make you roll your eyes. BUT if you are a tech innovator, or an innovator in general, I hope that won't be a stumbling block to my Big Idea.

You know how the plugged-in world now knows what size pants we wear, what color dress we like, what magazines we read and who we "like" regularly? What if someone creates the perfect algorithm to connect people who are passionate about a cause to an organization that can put their ideas and efforts and funds to the best use? Or put them in touch with people who can help them create their own organization to accomplish their passions?

Is it out there already and I just don't know? Has someone done this work that could make such a contribution to the good of society that we can't even fathom the impact?

This idea may not make anyone a million dollars. But it is a million dollar idea anyway, because it could be worth even more than that. It could be a billion dollar idea, because it could change the course of human history. And how can you put a price tag on that?


No comments:

Post a Comment